; Tin Can Canoe: Hybrids -- Fruits Not Cars

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hybrids -- Fruits Not Cars

The whole idea of fruit hybrids are pretty fascinating to me. Perhaps that makes me a dork, but... well actually, I'm not sure I have an argument against that one. Anyhow, we eat a whole lot of fruit around here and much prefer fresh over canned. So whenever I see something interesting I'm game at least once. Our lastest samplings:

Apriums. These are completely new to me - somewhat baffling. I'd like to know who comes up with these freaks of nature. As you can probably guess they're a plum and apricot hybrid. Mostly of apricot heritage - it's like a .25 plum and .75 apricot - don't ask me how they figure it out. They have slightly fuzzy skin just like an apricot but their meat is like a plum. And they actually taste a little like both - talk about heavenly. They claim to have a higher sugar content than that of a plum or apricot alone - which is probably why they're so devilishly good. They're sort of freaky because they also smell like both apricots and plums. High tail it over Costco & grab some.

Grapples. This one's not a hybrid at all, it's a Poser. Which explains a lot actually. I found these really odd - they don't smell like Grapes, they smell like Grape Jolly Ranchers. Ewww, that's like fake Watermelon and what could be more gross. They say that there are no additional sugars added and that nothing but flavor is infused into the apple - get this - via "a relaxing bathing process". Yeah, that about sums up how these tasted too. Like they had been sitting in some really smelly bath water, and now they smelled weird and didn't have any flavor left whatsoever. Poor things didn't even taste like apples. It was sad, even our resident bunny wouldn't eat them. Not good, nope, not at all.

No comments: